Spitfire K9828 at Leconfield airfield.

On 22nd May 1940 this 616 Squadron aircraft's undercarriage collapsed on landing at Leconfield as it was not properly locked down, it was later repaired.

Pilot - F/O Edward Fitzroy St.Aubyn RAF (90055).


This photograph shows what is claimed to have been Edward St.Aubyn's wheels-up landing at Leconfield in March 1940 in Spitfire "QJ-W". This may well be another unidentified flying accident in which he was involved or the date stated for the photograph is not correct and it shows K9828 on 22nd May 1940. He sustained injuries flying 616 Squadron Spitfire R7018 on 26th August 1940 when it crashed at Eastchurch airfield. He recovered from the burns he sustained and returned to operational flying. On 27th May 1943 he was killed flying Mustang AL968 with 170 Squadron when it crashed off Flamborough. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.


Spitfire K9828 was the 43rd production Spitfire. It was built to contract 527113/36 by Vickers Armstrong's (Supermarine) Ltd at Woolston and was delivered to 66 Squadron at Duxford on 18th December 1938. It was transferred to 616 Squadron at Leconfield on 17th November 1939. It was probably the aircraft slightly damaged at Leconfield on 11th February 1940 with a repair on site being carried out. 616 Squadron were forced to leave Leconfield on 22nd February 1940 when the airfield became unserviceable due to a rapid thaw. They were sent on detachment to nearby Catfoss where they remained until returning to Leconfield on 9th March 1940. The aircraft sustained Cat.R/FA damage as a result of the mishap on 22nd May 1940. After this it was dismantled by a team from Scottish Aviation Ltd., Prestwick on 4th June 1940 but was transported to AST Ltd. at Hamble for repair on 6th June 1940. On completion of the repairs it was flown to 8 MU at Little Rissington on 24th September 1940 and then issued to 72 Squadron at Biggin Hill on 7th October 1940. It moved with the unit to Coltishall on 13th October before going with the unit to Leuchars on 29th November and then down to Acklington on 19th December 1940. It was transferred to a training role with 58 OTU at Grangemouth on 9th March 1941 but then flown to 45 MU at Kinloss (a storage unit or ASU) on 10th June 1941 where it remained until being issued to 57 OTU at Hawarden on 17th July 1941. The aircraft had a long life with 57 OTU, moving with them to Eshott on 10th November 1942. It was later flown to AST Ltd. at Hamble on 21st March 1943 for a major service and modifications and on completion of the work it was flown to 39 MU at Colerne (ASU) on 26th June 1943 where it remained until being flown to 222 MU at High Ercall (Packing Depot) on 8th August 1943 where it was crated and then shipped to Portugal on 14th August 1943, arriving on 11th September 1943. No further details of its history thereafter are known.

Back to monthly table.